The ACPAC Special Interest Group (SIG) was formed at the Annual General Meeting of ACPAC Graduates and Trainees in October 2017. As the number of ACPAC graduates and trainees increased, a need was identified to formalize ourselves as a unique healthcare resource. In 2019, AHPA formally established the ACPAC SIG within its’ organizational structure. To date, work has focused on advancing ACPAC roles within the healthcare system by establishing pillars and priorities, of which Leadership is the foundation for our pillars of Advocacy, Research and Education.
The ACPAC SIG represents all graduates and trainees of the ACPAC program who wish to become members. The benefits of becoming a member of the ACPAC SIG include:
There is strength in numbers! We strongly encourage each and every ACPAC graduate to become an AHPA/ACPAC SIG member.
There will be an additional $25 fee for ACPAC SIG members, in addition to the AHPA membership fee of $125 (total membership fee is $150).
Chair: Leslie Soever
Secretary: Lisa Caldana
Education Committee Chair: Lynn Richards
Advocacy Committee Co-chairs: Sameer Chunara, Chandra Farrer
Communications Chair: Chris Yuen
Research Chair: VACANT
Website Liaison: Michelle Bridge
Other Members: Laura Passalent, Sue MacQueen (AHPA Past-President), Anne MacLeod (AHPA President), Osk Jenkins
Contact ACPAC SIG
For general information, please contact ACPACconnect@ahpa.ca
AHPA Special Interest Groups (SIGs) exist to support professional development and networking of AHPA members who have an interest in a specific area of arthritis care or research. A SIG must be compatible with AHPA’s mission and strategic plan and must cover a subject area that cannot reasonably be addressed by the overall activities of AHPA or by an existing SIG.
The role of a SIG is to support members of AHPA in forming and maintaining a connection among those with special interests and scope of practice, and to provide input to the board , if requested, on issues related to the SIG’s area of interest.
The SIG will determine membership eligibility for their group. For example, a SIG with a specific professional affiliation may require that the members are of that profession or training. All members of the SIG shall be AHPA members.
In general, AHPA will not provide resources, financial or otherwise to the SIG. SIG members will be required to pay an amount determined by the Board and subject to the approval of the AHPA membership (assessed annually) over and above regular AHPA membership in order to cover the costs of activities.
AHPA will support the SIG by:
● Providing website access:
○ The SIG may have space on the AHPA website for their members to facilitate communication among the SIG members. SIG members will be provided with specific access to their section of the website, which will not be accessible to non-members of the SIG. The Chair of Professional and Career Development (or AHPA Board designate as per the President) and the AHPA Webmaster will also be given access to this space.
○ The SIG will also be listed as a benefit on the website for eligible members and may post SIG activities or events on the website calendar of events and/or in AHPA communications such as the monthly Newsbrief. The SIG will be responsible for providing the appropriate AHPA Board representative and the Webmaster with any such postings.
● Providing access to technology for group meetings. SIG meetings must not coincide with AHPA business or other meetings where the technology is utilized.
● Providing meeting space for the SIG, if possible, at the annual CRA/AHPA scientific meeting. The SIG will be responsible for advising the AHPA Board of any such requests by October of the year preceding the CRA/AHPA Annual Scientific Meeting. Any AV or food requirements for any such SIG meeting will be the financial responsibility of the SIG.
● Providing banking support for events which require sponsorship: In any year in which a SIG requires the use of the AHPA bank account and bookkeeping/accounting services there will be a charge of 5% for all sponsorship dollars received with a $200/year minimum
● In certain circumstances, working with the SIG to hold a SIG-led workshop, webinar, etc.
The following information must be submitted to the AHPA Board for consideration of AHPA SIG status. A SIG application may be submitted at any time by any AHPA member. The application requires the following documentation: